Search This Blog

Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Beginning....

Most people would never know that I have Asperger's. Hell, up until May, I didn't know for sure. It was at the mere suggestion (possibly even a joking comment) that a friend made about a habit that I have of sleeping with a heavy blanket year round that got me looking into the possibility. As an aside, it was mentioned to me the blanket thing can be indicitive of Autism.

"It's a comfort thing," he said, "Actually, you do a few things that make me think of Autism..."

I walked away after that. No offense, but there was no way I was retarded....It's bad enough I have narcolepsy and restless leg syndrome! Plus, I have no tact (I'm a Sagittarius, what can I say). I can feasibly explain every quirk, personality issue and social problem that I have and nothing ever had to do with the "A" word. (I realize now it has everything to do with it.) Asshole may have come up, however, that's rarely used for women.

My formal diagnosis was two days ago on Thursday, July 9th, 2009. Did I need a doctor to tell me that I have Asperger's? No, not really. I just needed a confirmation that my research was correct. She didn't even do a checklist which kind of bummed me out. She did however ask why I was there if I didn't want treatment. My answer....

I am horrible at relationships. And the one I'm in is going downhill at neckbreaking speed, no matter what I do to try and help it's only getting worse.

But this is only the beginning....

I'm 34, newly diagnosed and haven't even started exploring this world yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment